Friday, January 25, 2008

Round-Up: January 25

HAPPY FRIDAY, everybody! Here is a round-up of today's blog posts (you can browse through previous round-ups at the Bestiaria Latina Blog archives). You can keep up with the latest posts by using the RSS feed, or you can subscribe by email. Have a great weekend, and I'll "see" you again on Monday. :-)

ReligiousReading.com. In conjunction with the Vulgate Verses book, I've posted about the version of the First Beatitude as found in Luke: Beati pauperes, quia vestrum est regnum Dei. (There is a dramatic grammatical difference, as you can see, from the more commonly cited verison found in Matthew.)

LatinViaProverbs.com: I'm working away on the online guide to the Latin Via Proverbs book, with grammar notes and English translations, proceeding through the book group by group. Today I've posted notes for Group 163, a group of proverbs that includes the proverbial sleeping Endymion: Endymionis somnum dormit.

LatinViaFables.com: I'm continuing to work my way through the 15th-century Latin fables of Abstemius! With each fable I'm posting the Latin text, a segmented Latin text, along with an English translation by me, plus the rollicking 17th-century translation by Sir Roger L'Estrange. Today's fable is De Luscinia cantum accipitri pro vita pollicente: About the nightingale promising to sing for the hawk in exchange for her life. Unlike the old version of the hawk and the nightingale in Hesiod, this Aesop's fable makes the hawk out to be a wise fellow, not so foolish as to give up a bird in the hand for one in the bush (or, rather, for a song in the bush!).

Here's an illustration that I found by John Thompson for this fable: